Finally .. I am beginning to see some recovery action in my body! Well, there has been some up to now .. I can finally have a full night's sleep without being woken 2-3 times by an excruciating cramp in my knee, but for me it doesn't count unless I can run again :S
This weekend, 4 weeks out from the NF, I have been able to do a 45min hilly trail run (Sat), gym workout the next day (my new attempt [read *obsession*] at strengthening), and a sand / sandhill run for 30mins this morning (Mon) .. all with no residual effects on my ailing knee. So .. here's looking up, my body is doing what I should have trusted it to do in the first place .. healing, given half a chance.
This note is probably more for my own record than anything ... but I guess the underlying message to me and anyone who reads this, is that we can and will heal so long as we are patient and can somehow strike the right balance between pushing a little through some pain, but not pushing yourself backward into more injury. It is incredibly frustrating going from 20km being an easy short run, to struggling to make 10km before knee pain pulls you up .. when everything else in your body is working just fine! But, one baby step at a time, I know that I will get stronger and fitter .. and will heal :)
On a side note .. my pride at not losing any toenails has been short-lived, the left big toenail is on the way out! oh well ... a badge of honour for a trail runner apparently!!
Jx
Of course I agree, cause I'm part of this. Healing; ahhhhh, the body does it at it's own pace, and of course that's slower than we would like. So the lesson you postulate is validated. Easy, easy, and it will happen. Thanks again, My Love, for an in depth and informative blog.
ReplyDeleteDean