What the hell .. everyone else writes reviews about stuff, I'm sure I can nut one out .. especially when it might help somebody else!
Having been a Salomon 'Speedcross' loyalist for 2.5 years, I figured it was time to begin searching for something a little more padded for my poor suffering feet on 30+ km runs. Don't get me wrong .. I have raved about Speedcross to all my running buddies .. never have I had a shoe that feels like you've just poured your feet into them, providing 'light-as-a-feather' protection, superior sand running grip .. and NO dirt in your shoes! I love my Speedcross, and will probably always use them to race anything up to 30km.
However .. Speedcross don't give my feet the padding necessary for the long gravelly trails that I run in preparation for 50km+ events. I am fed up with pulling up with sore and bruised feet .. not just a 'harden-up' issue after 2.5 years of waiting for it to change!
I have seriously considered Hokas, but the height thing really concerns me .. being a frequent ankle-roller. Also, after trying them on, they just didn't feel right on my feet .. and costing over $200 I'm not willing to spend that just to see what they're like to run in.
My search continued until the other week when I read an article by Geoff Roes. Yes .. he is sponsored by Montrail, and yes .. he is paid to say nice things about them. However, his discussion comparing the Montrail to the other top brands .. including Hoka, Salomon and North Face, along with his credibility as a top world ultramarathon trail runner, was enough to convince me that this shoe might just be what I was looking for. Even better .. when I found them on 'Racing The Planet' for $90 on sale .. I thought that it was worth giving them a try.
About me, my feet, and shoes:
- I have a neutral gait, I used to heel strike, but have converted to mid-foot.
- I'm new to ultras .. so far, 2 x 6" Trail (46km), 1 x Glasshouse 50km, 1 x North Face 100 (Blue Mtns), over the past 14 months.
- Blisters haunt me continually .. no matter what socks I try .. won't even go into the sock debate!
- I have a 'wide' forefoot .. ok, .. I have fat feet :-|
- Speedcross II are 25g lighter than Badrock (pair)
So, as noted on FB .. first impressions were very good. They felt very comfortable from the moment I put them on, lightweight, roomy toe-box, great stability and cushioning, and perfect fit!!
The first run in them was only 17km .. (on the back of a 46km race 2 weeks prior). The test ground was a regular undulating trail incorporating gravel, sand, technical leafy and tree-root single track, and a tiny bit of road and footpath.
The shoes were fantastic on all surfaces .. the extra cushioning a welcome relief on the rougher gravel trails where I would usually feel every rock through my Speedcross! Stability was amazing, the light weight was a blessing, and my feet felt cool and comfortable for the duration of the run. Best bit .. NO blisters!
There is always a 'con' among the pros .. and if I search hard enough, I would say the only thing I didn't like was getting grit in my shoes .. I've been spoilt by the Speedcross!! ... but any shoe with similar mesh upper is going to let in some dirt! The payoff is cooler feet :o)
The shoes have bigger tests to show their worth .. 55km of TNF trails in the Blue Mountains in a couple of weeks will better convince me whether the change has been worth my while and money. But for now .. I'm very happy with the change :o)
Jac
No comments:
Post a Comment